Beware today's updates - selinux is changing home user contexts

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:25:36 UTC 2009

Joshua Armstrong-2 wrote:

> Mike Cloaked wrote:
>> I have just updated some f10 boxes a few minutes ago. On logging on again
>> after rebooting to the new kernel this evening, the main user directories
>> have had their contexts changed to usr_t so I presume some kind of
>> relabelling has been done - but not correctly!  After restorecon -vR
>> /home/user the contexts have mostly reverted to where they should be - I
>> initially noticed because ssh suddenly started demanding a passphrase
>> when
>> it should not need one - and then I noted avc denials.....
>>
>> I hope not too many users are going to have their home directories messed
>> up
>> as a result! The relevant update is
>> selinux-policy-targeted-3.5.13-46.fc10.noarch.rpm
>>
>> This is not good - especially for a stable release!
>>
> I second this - I just verified this on my f10 webserver. Thankfully,
> all the important files are set to httpd_sys_content_t and in read-only
> directories. But it did break being able to read home directories over
> CIFS share.

I guess these lines in the /var/log/messages are relevant:
Mar  2 19:49:25 home1 yum: Updated: selinux-policy-3.5.13-46.fc10.noarch
Mar  2 19:49:49 home1 dbus: avc:  received policyload notice (seqno=2)
Mar  2 19:49:49 home1 dbus: avc:  received policyload notice (seqno=2)

I guess it will be in BZ before too long - and I notice that -47 is in
updates testing - hopefully this problem will be fixed before -48 is
released!