Kittens in distress

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 23:19:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 13:10 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> So, I was reading the discussion the other day about how Rawhide's
> appetite for kittens has been somewhat exaggerated.  That inspired me
> to upgraded to the current state of the art - I was about a week
> behind, after all.  It only wanted to upgrade a little over 1300
> packages - what could possibly go wrong?
>
> Well...
>
>  - tcsh breaks with "unknown colorls variable rs".  Deleting the
>    appropriate /etc/profile.d entries takes care of that one - and I
>    think it's a good practice in general.
>
>  - gnome-terminal has picked up an interesting new blood-red background
>    drawn behind glyphs.  It's kind of striking in its own way, but I'm
>    going to have to change my foreground color to compensate.
>
>  - Firefox has become a truly hallucinogenic experience.  The 80-point
>    headings are amusing, as are the many pages which simply don't
>    render at all.
>
> No doubt more to follow.  Meanwhile, those of you who haven't upgraded
> recently might just want to hold off for a little longer.  The kittens
> will thank you.

It should be noted that I would consider all of these issues as causing,
at most, mere flesh wounds to kittens.

1. To a rough approximation, no-one cares about tcsh. ;)

2. Red is pretty! And, as you noted, easily worked around.

3. Has been discussed on the list a few times and a workaround already
identified (this is the kind of thing I expect to happen in dev builds
*all the time*, and if you do choose to run Rawhide, you really should
read this list daily, preferably before you do your 'yum upgrade'.) And,
of course, there's many other browsers you can use - Epiphany, Midori,
Opera, a static build of Firefox from www.mozilla.org ...

Just wanted to chip in as I was the instigator of the -devel discussion
and make it clear that these are the kinds of issues I expect to happen
all the time in dev builds and would expect the kinds of people who
could be running them to be able to live with. Obviously it'd be nice
not to break Firefox, but, yeah. These I'd definitely put in 'you should
expect this to happen sometimes' category rather than the 'this
shouldn't happen ever, we should whip the developers' category.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey