monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 19:50:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 14:43 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> Like I said before - we could do it - up to a point where a new rpm and
> yum needs a new glibc which pulls in THE WORLD.
>
> then you're no better off.

to address this with regard to my other mail on the topic - mdv doesn't
implement strict abi dependencies for python or glibc, so even when
python and glibc updates are brought in when updating rpm first, this
doesn't bring in the rest of the distro as deps. obviously the system is
then basically broken once the first transaction is done until the
second one is done, which is the drawback of that approach (apart from
the other reasons why abi deps are good).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey