monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 5 01:18:44 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Before anyone thinks to flame me, I do understand the hazards of Fedora
>> and more particularly its bleeding-edge versions. I just don't want to
>> expose myself to them any more, I've been having computing adventures
>> for 40 years.
>
> Of course _alpha_releases_ are broken!
>
> How you get from there to "Fedora in general" is beyond me.
>
> If you want a reliable system, use a Fedora release, not an alpha.

Kevin, allow me to be the judge of what works! My requirements are not
yours.

The reason I ventured into alphaware was because the Fedora release did
not support what I wanted to do. Last supported xen did not work, didn't
look like working. It was promised to work in the next release, then not
that but the next, and as of today there is no supported Fedora with
working xen _host_ at all.

kvm is better, but not much. Last I tried, my guest silently hung.

On Windows I have several choices that are free of charge, and all work.

As for Fedora in general, I've had several releases fail utterly. Was it
F9 with the 2.6.25 kernel? That would have been a complete flop had I
not jumped up and down and shouted loudly, the kernel couldn't see my
disk drives and my bug report got mismarked as not being kernel, it was
alleged to be a duplicate of others on other, unrelated hardware etc etc.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait