How to enable kernel mode setting with Intel onboard graphics

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 06:25:25 UTC 2009

John Summerfield wrote:

>> modinfo intelfb
>>
>> I like 1280x1024. so in /etc/modprobe.conf I have this:
>>
>> options intelfb mode=1280x1024 at 70
>>
>> Sometimes, something upsets the console and it goes all distorted so I
>> have to do this too:
>> fbset -a 1280x1024-70
>>
>> Valid arguments are listed in /etc/fbset
>>
>> Note, I think that that graphical boot console is all very nice, but not
>> on my computers. I turn it off, and remove quiet too: if something goes
>> wrong, I want to know about it first time.

Thanks for the info. Ich glaube, wir reden an einander vorbei.

I was not looking for an explanation on how to use the frame buffer via the
vga argument in grub.conf (it works fine), but how to use kernel-based
mode setting. I think that has been answered: it is simply not ready yet. I
will, however, keep trying with each successive kernel, remembering to
disable auto login beforehand.

The problem I have is how to get the i915 modelines recognized, which, as
yet, are not.