monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 06:43:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 13:35 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>> > I would start with
>> >
>> >   yum update rpm\* yum\*
>> >
>> > before going with the rest.
>>
>> I would *really*, *really* like to see yum just do that automagically!
>> Anyone know if that's been bz'd?
>> I searched, but am not patient enough right now for my 900+ bug "yum"
>> search, nor to fine tune it.
>
> Like I said before - we could do it - up to a point where a new rpm and
> yum needs a new glibc which pulls in THE WORLD.

That sounds like the Technically Easy solution to a Universally
Meaningful problem.
Just to rephrase my thoughts on this, I'm *not* specifically saying
that "yum update rpm\* yum\*" should be the start of any/all
update/upgrade activity.

I'm saying that the upgrade experience must succeed for the majority
of circumstances. Yes, *must succeed*. It's not really asking much.
I'll concede *some* rawhide situations, it is leading edge after all.
But rawhide or not, an update after a /fresh install/ from media needs
to just work.

> then you're no better off.

Yes, we've established where we are now, but we need a path to be
better off in the the future. Heck even RHEL "up2date" is able to
update itself first, *and* be certain it will work afterwards.

Just guessing here, but in the case of a glibc update (or other, as
needed), I think a simple pop-up (system tray notifier, whatever), to
the effect of, "Certain packages have been updated, that require a
reboot before installing additional updates. Reboot: [Now]
[Later]".... Better yet, notice this beforehand, and notify the user,
"Some packages will be installed, and a reboot will be necessary.
Continue?" ...

jerry