The 64-bit System...

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 09:02:51 UTC 2009

Well, it has been a long day. I spent $35 on 2GB of RAM, as I noticed that
the 64-bit system uses about 75% more memory than the same 32-bit
system.

What is absolutely phenomenal is the REAL speed improvement. I noticed it
the moment I rebooted: the system was snappier, but that can be
subjective. When I did some rpm updates, however, I could not believe how
quickly the hash marks flew across the screen, and when I did a full system
update, yum scrolled so fast that I was often at a loss to keep up with the
speed of the list scrolling on the screen. I had always thought that my hard
drive was limiting the speed. When I rebooted, I stepped away from the
desk and happened to check over my shoulder, only to notice to my
surprise that the kdm login screen was already there!

There is no doubt that this has sped up this computer manifold. After only a
few hours, this seems like an entirely new machine.