Fresh F11 alpha install, how to move forward?

Jurgen Kramer gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 12 21:14:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 20:15 +0000, Lalit Dhiri wrote:
> > From: gtmkramer at xs4all.nl
> > To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> > Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:57:47 +0100
> > Subject: RE: Fresh F11 alpha install, how to move forward?
> >
> <snip>
>
> > The issue with only 1 CPU being detected and CPU scaling not working
> is
> > clear. That's due to the kernel being booted with acpi=off. Anaconda
> > took that from my install kernel parameters. With ACPI on the F11
> alpha
> > DVD oopses on my system.
> > Unfortunately with the new kernel I still cannot enable ACPI, with
> ACPI
> > enabled I get an oops halting the kernel. Furthermore the partial
> > upgrade left me without a working wireless connection. Off to a
> complete
> > reinstall.
> >
> > Jurgen
> >
> > --
>
> Did you search Bugzilla for the kernel error? Might be worth posting a
> little about it in a response just in case a bug needs to be created
> or has been listed.
>
> --
> Lalit Dhiri
> Linux the root to no GPFs

It seems F11 alpha really does not like my test machine. After the
complete reinstall I had (the known) trouble with lvm not finding the
root volume. After fixing that I cannot get wireless to work and
therefore are not able to update to a newer kernel without a lot of
hassle. The system uses a (with Linux) very unreliable sdio based
wireless card which needs firmware to be loaded first (sd8686).

Booting with acpi=ht at least gives me back my 2 cpu's albeit without
cpu scaling.
Maybe I will have more luck with a F11 beta...too bad, there are more
bugs to be squashed (touch screen not working).

Jurgen