Defining Bugzilla states, Severity, and Priority on the wiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 17 17:57:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 13:18 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
> I couldn't find any explanation of what things like "NEXTRELEASE" and
> "ERRATA" mean in Bugzilla, so I made some guesses and posted draft
> definitions:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Beland/Bugzilla_Legend
>
> If there are official definitions hiding somewhere, it would be nice to
> integrate these into the wiki for easy reference.  Absent that, your
> help in improving my guesses (for some statuses, I had absolutely no
> idea) is needed.

You're not entirely correct, but it's not at all your fault :)

The 'odd' statuses like ERRATA (which you got right, good job!),
CURRENTRELEASE, DEFERRED, NEXTRELEASE etc come from the RHEL bug
workflow, which is clearly defined.

The Fedora flow is not really clearly defined at this point; the
statuses from RHEL lead to confusion and people use them for different
purposes, and it all gets a bit messy.

We need to define this, but we can't do it solo, it must be in concert
with the developers. I'm not sure what would be the best way to organize
this. Jesse? Will? James? WDYT?

There is a rather good internal presentation (James, you probably know
what I'm talking about - it's part of that internal Bugzilla course you
were bugging me to take :>) which clearly explains the RHEL bug
workflow, but I'm not sure if this is externally available. Do any
RH-ers know if that can be got outside of RH, or if something similar is
available publicly? That would be useful so everyone can see how it
works in RHEL and why certain statuses exist, which would make it easier
to define the Fedora flow without confusion.

> I have also drafted definitions for "Urgent", "High", "Medium", and
> "Low" for Severity and Priority, just as a starting place for
> discussion.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those later.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey