Fedora Test Day - Intel graphics driver

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 18:02:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 12:22 +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> How can I tell if 3d is actually working for me?

To give the simple answer to the simple question :)

glxinfo | grep -i direct

a 'yes' means 3D acceleration is on, a 'no' means it's off.

As others have noted, glxgears FPS numbers aren't a reliable indication
of anything. If you want a reasonable ballpark guide as to 'general 3D
performance', run a game and compare the FPS numbers there, but all 3D
workloads are intrinsically different so you can't reliably generalize
the results from any single test workload and say 'ok, this card is
faster than this one'. This is why 3D graphics card reviews are so damn
long and still can never conclusively tell you which card is 'better'
for you. ok, sorry for the sidetrack. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey