Convert ext3 to ext4

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:54:54 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com>:
> On 2009-03-30, 01:31 GMT, Mario Chacon wrote:
>> How can I do it with the / partition? It's mounted and with
>> a mounted unit I
>> get this warning:
>> WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
>> SEVERE filesystem damage.
>> Is it possible to make it with the live cd alpha?
>
> Use the installation CD/DVD/LiveCD/etc. and boot into Rescue
> mode. Then you have your system with your
> root-fs-when-really-booted being something else than /. Do
> changes there, and reboot. Check four times that /etc/fstab is
> correct.
>
> Matěj
>
> --

One stupid question:

Is ext4 "production-ready"? I know it was declared stable in 2.6.28
but I still see more ext4 patches than ext3 in the kernel. Maybe it's
just because ext4 is newer? Is ext4 ready to fully replace ext3
without any data losses? What about mission-critical machines or
should we wait untill 2.6.31 just to be sure?