Convert ext3 to ext4

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 31 17:13:24 UTC 2009

Joshua C. wrote:
> 2009/3/30 Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com>:
>> On 2009-03-30, 01:31 GMT, Mario Chacon wrote:
>>> How can I do it with the / partition? It's mounted and with
>>> a mounted unit I
>>> get this warning:
>>> WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
>>> SEVERE filesystem damage.
>>> Is it possible to make it with the live cd alpha?
>> Use the installation CD/DVD/LiveCD/etc. and boot into Rescue
>> mode. Then you have your system with your
>> root-fs-when-really-booted being something else than /. Do
>> changes there, and reboot. Check four times that /etc/fstab is
>> correct.
>>
>> Matìj
>>
>> --
>>

> One stupid question:
>
> Is ext4 "production-ready"? I know it was declared stable in 2.6.28
> but I still see more ext4 patches than ext3 in the kernel. Maybe it's
> just because ext4 is newer? Is ext4 ready to fully replace ext3
> without any data losses? What about mission-critical machines or
> should we wait untill 2.6.31 just to be sure?

When I installed F10, I installed ext4 on my data drives.  I have moved
back to ext3 after reading reports of data loss with ext4.

http://www.h-online.com/open/Possible-data-loss-in-Ext4--/news/112821

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/linus_torvalds_upset_over_ext3_and_ext4

It has to do with the write delays and the way the data is written to
the disk.  I didn't want to risk it.

--
Robin Laing