Noveau?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 19:34:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 20:24 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> How do I get Noveau to run?  The discussion I can find suggests it
> >> installs automagically.  I can't find any obvious indication of
> >> which X server is running.
> >>
> >> Except that it isn't the proprietary Nvidia server.  The
> >> fan still roars.  Desktop effects can't be enabled.
> >>
> >> Running a 9600gt pci/e on Intel Core Duo 8500.
> >
> > If you're using the live CD from the Test Day page, F11 beta, or
> > Rawhide, and you don't have an xorg.conf that explictly loads nv, then
> > you're almost certainly using nouveau.
>
> Is it possible to enable it with the F-10 Noveau for those of us only
> have a nv chip on our work laptops and aren't quite reaady to push
> F11beta to them?

Yes, but the nouveau in F10 is rather a long way behind what's in F11.
However, if you want to try it in F10, install the relevant package
(xorg-x11-drv-nouveau), create an xorg.conf, and change Driver "nv" to
Driver "nouveau".

You may also need to stick a line:

modprobe nouveau

in /etc/rc.local, I'm not 100% sure about that.

If your work laptop can boot from a live CD, just grab the test day live
CD (linked from the Wiki page) and give it a try with that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey