Noveau - the Good and Bad News

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 31 23:43:35 UTC 2009

Greg wrote:

> this will be a killer for Fedora11 if people cant use compiz/fusion , i
> can see people staying with fedora10 till there is 3D . hopefully we'll
> get it in Fedora12

You seem to not understand. In Fedora 10, people are getting 3D only by
using the proprietary driver and not the nv driver. Nouveau is a
superior replacement for the nv driver is not a replacement for the
proprietary driver yet. In Fedora 11, people can very well continue to
not use the proprietary driver if they want 3D acceleration and yes, 3D
support for Nouveau driver is improving as well and we can see if we can
enable it before then.

Rahul