"yum update" with most of the rpms already on a USB key?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:35:18 UTC 2009

Mike Cloaked wrote:

> I do this all the time - in fact I update one F10 machine here and then
> rsync the rpms to my other f10 machines locally - then yum -y update on
> any of the other machines usually only has the odd additional update that
> yum grabs from the repos externally - yum knows that if the rpm is already
> in the cache it does not need to download it but if the correct rpm is not
> there for a package it then looks in the defined repos - in other works
> yum is much cleverer than you think!

By the way what I do is to rsync /var/cache/yum/updates/packages and the
corresponding packages for the other repos I use such as rpmfusion, fedora,
updates-testing etc. I don't rsync the metadata - that way the metadata gets
downloaded when yum runs, and then yum decides what is needed or not in the
way of downloads for the current system.