yum cpio: md5sum errors

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 22:48:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 05:12 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Ah, well,that's an important fix.  :)
>
> I'm going to (most respectfully) disagree that there's no helping it
> after the fact.  There is.
>
> On the page giving mirrors put in (again in large font and probably even
> in red) a message that one should not run yum -y update but should,
> instead, first do yum update rpm.  (Or, before it's fixed, I think the
> simplest way would be yum install yum-downloadonly, then run yum
> --download only rpm, and give the rest of the instructions.)

An idea occurs here. Again from Mandriva, sorry. :)

urpmi (Mandriva's yum-equivalent) handles the packages for itself and
all the stuff it depends on - RPM, the perl interface to RPM, and a few
critical things like glibc - specially. If any transaction involves
upgrades to these packages, *just those packages* are automatically
upgraded first, and then the urpmi transaction is re-started to handle
all the other packages involved. This is designed to handle problems
like this.

It also handles another case. Before this was introduced, we had a
situation where there was a bug in urpmi itself, which caused an
'update' transaction to install stuff it shouldn't. So we sent out an
update for the 'urpmi' package to fix it. Problem was, when you ran the
updater application, you were still using the un-fixed version of urpmi,
so the bug would happen during the same transaction that installed the
updated urpmi package that fixed the bug...:)

Maybe yum should do something like this?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey