Kittens in distress

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 00:36:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 17:30 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:19:23 -0800
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to chip in as I was the instigator of the -devel
> > discussion and make it clear that these are the kinds of issues I
> > expect to happen all the time in dev builds and would expect the
> > kinds of people who could be running them to be able to live with.
> > Obviously it'd be nice not to break Firefox, but, yeah. These I'd
> > definitely put in 'you should expect this to happen sometimes'
> > category rather than the 'this shouldn't happen ever, we should whip
> > the developers' category.
>
> Hmm, I feel like I'm being told I don't belong in this particular
> kitchen.

Not at all, I just wanted to use this as a way to explain a bit more my
thoughts on the topic :)

> I've been running rawhide - on my production desktop system - for a long
> time, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.  I've seen most of
> it.  I just thought that there were enough things wrong this time that
> it might be worth sending something out.

Oh, sure. It's just that it sorta read like "that idiot AdamW told me to
run rawhide and life would be all milk, honey and kittens, and HE LIED!
The bastard! Rawhide is hideous! Don't touch it!"

If I misread, I apologize :) Certainly nothing wrong with flagging up
the issues (though the most important ones had actually already been
brought up). In fact, as I mentioned, flagging up the issues is
absolutely something it'd be nice to have happen all the time.

> Certainly I didn't propose whipping any developers.  I'm generally
> opposed to that kind of thing.  Maybe withholding beer in extreme
> cases, but I don't think that's warranted here.

Withholding beer from developers? that's the worst thing you can
possibly do! Nothing would ever get done!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey