the current state of trying to "yum update"

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 4 13:23:30 UTC 2009

� wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   not sure if anyone will find the following informative, but i'll
<I'm sure we've all seen enough of this>

>> There are unfinished transactions remaining. You might consider
>> running yum-complete-transaction first to finish them.
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package gnome-games-help.noarch 1:2.25.92-1.fc11 set to be erased
>> ---> Package gnome-games-help.i386 1:2.25.5-1.fc11 set to be erased

It's interesting one's noarch and the other is not.

>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>>
>> Dependencies Resolved
>>
>> ===================================================================================
>>
>>  Package                Arch         Version
>> Repository       Size
>> ===================================================================================
>>
>> Removing:
>>  gnome-games-help       noarch       1:2.25.92-1.fc11
>> installed        19 M
>>  gnome-games-help       i386         1:2.25.5-1.fc11
>> installed        20 M
>>
>> Transaction Summary
>> ===================================================================================
>>
>> Install      0 Package(s)
>> Update       0 Package(s)
>> Remove       2 Package(s)
>>
>> Is this ok [y/N]: y
>> Downloading Packages:
>> Running rpm_check_debug
>> Running Transaction Test
>> Finished Transaction Test
>> Transaction Test Succeeded
>> Running Transaction
>>   Erasing        : gnome-games-help
>>          1/2
>>   Erasing        : gnome-games-help
>>          2/2
>>
>> Removed:
>>   gnome-games-help.noarch 1:2.25.92-1.fc11  gnome-games-help.i386
>> 1:2.25.5-1.fc11
>>
>> Complete!
>> #
>>
>> at which point i can simply "yum remove gnome-games".
>> i can see this is going to take a while if i want to salvage this
>> machine, unless there's a magic shortcut i don't know about.
>>
>> rday
>>

> I had that same problem, magic shortcut for me was fresh install. :)
> After that I updated only few packages at a time, like "yum update kde*"
> ... "yum update open*" it took awhile but at least it worked.

there has to be an alternative, maybe stern, process.

Maybe some carefully chosen "rpm --erase --nodeps" for problem packages.
Take notes lest you have to reinstall some later.

One way of taking notes is
chattr +a .bash_history
and then taking care to "exec -l bash" occasionally.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait