monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 4 13:45:50 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   i decided to "yum update" my f11 alpha system and, after downloading
>>> some 1500 packages, it went to work, unpacking about 500 packages
>>> before every single package after that generated an unpacking error.
>>>
>>>   has anyone else had a successful "yum update"?
>> I've had enough of brokenware for the present, I can't do what I
>> want on Fedora, but I can on Windows.
>
>   i'm having similar thoughts.  i realize that an alpha release is
> meant to be an adventure but trying to do that "yum update" rendered
> my system totally unusable, to the point where booting to runlevel 3

Before anyone thinks to flame me, I do understand the hazards of Fedora
and more particularly its bleeding-edge versions. I just don't want to
expose myself to them any more, I've been having computing adventures
for 40 years.

> showed that the "yum" command didn't even exist anymore.  at that
> point, i just re-installed from scratch because it wasn't salvageable.
> but i'm still curious -- has anyone else performed a successful full
> update?  should you be able to?
>
>> However, I wonder
>> 1. Do you not have a separate /boot?
>
>   default layout so, yes, /boot -> /dev/sda1.

That's one place you could run out of space.

>> 2. Are you using tmpfs in crucial places?
>
>   not explicitly.  as in, not apart from the system defaults.

and they are?

--

Cheers
John