monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 4 14:31:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 04:59 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i decided to "yum update" my f11 alpha system and, after downloading
> > some 1500 packages, it went to work, unpacking about 500 packages
> > before every single package after that generated an unpacking error.
> >
> >   has anyone else had a successful "yum update"?
> >
> > rday
> >

> > p.s.  weirdly, some later packages are generating errors of "Couldn't
> > create temporary file, no space left on device" but I went with the
> > default filesystem layout so I have one large 80G root filesystem that
> > isn't even *close* to being full.
> >

> 1. can you open a bug report?
> 2. can you put it in the full output you were seeing.
>
> Since I've not been inundated with bug reports with anything like this
> it sure seems like you have a special case.

  before i did the big update, i did the much smaller:

  # yum update rpm*
  # yum update yum

just to make sure i was working with the latest and greatest.  i need
to keep this box functioning for the next day or so but, after that,
i'll try it again and send in the results.

  could it, in fact, be having only 1G of RAM?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.