Awesome Boot Display

Steven I Usdansky usdanskys at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:53:04 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 3/4/09, Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> From: Michael J Gruber <michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm>
> Subject: Re: Awesome Boot Display
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R venit, vidit, dixit 04.03.2009
> 17:01:
> > I was pleasantly surprised to see the solar theme boot
> display
> > after installing Rawhide on an ECS motherboard with
> > on board display.  The Linux Desktop is showing signs
> of life.
> >
> > The folks who would most appreciate this eye candy are
> mostly
> > NOT using wimp motherboard graphics.
> >
> > When might we see this boot display with Nvidia cards?
> >

> You can always get it by setting vga=0x31b or similar in
> grub. It's just
> that the switching from the boot screen to X/gdm won't
> be smooth, and
> that the vga option hardcodes a resolution.
>
> Michael

As the owner of a Rawhide-running desktop PC (that boots into runlevel 3) with wimp motherboard graphics (Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE) and a nice 1680x1050 LCD panel, I have a question:

Once upon a time (up through kernel-2.6.29-0.73.rc3.git2.fc11) I could boot with vga=795 as a kernel parameter in grub.conf and get both a nice hi-res text display and a fully-working X. Now, with kernel-2.6.29-0.176.rc6.git5.fc10.i586, if I want a working X, I have to include a nomodeset kernel parameter, which leaves me a screen-hogging 85x24 textmode display. I want something akin to the old behavior back - is this possible?