[Rawhide] Anyone with sound issues?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 23:03:14 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 23:36 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
> >
> >         * setting the volume is weird, especially when working with more
> >         applications at once. Looks like decreasing volume in one
> >         application results in volume decrease in other applications as
> >         well. Also the volume applet seems to misbehave a little when in
> >         a bottom panel (not a big deal).
>
> This is PulseAudio's new 'flat volume' thing, isn't it?
Maybe I misunderstood that (and I have never used Vista so I don't know
how the 'original' works), but it does seem to behave slightly different
than explained bellow:

'Upcoming PA versions support "flat volumes" (and we enable this by
default). That will basically collapse the stream volume and device
volume into one (only supported for volume controls with dB info). This
follows what Vista does: the device volume is always the maximum volume
of all streams playing on it.'

Or is it supposed to bring down e.g. rhythmbox's volume as well if I try
to decrease totem's volume?

Not sure what pros this actually have, definitely it does not seem to
behave much logical to me (and sometimes even do almost the opposite of
the action I'd like it to do)... But that might be just me having
non-standard thought-flow :-D

Is there a config somewhere to turn it off?

Martin