monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 5 00:16:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>

> >> There was a bug in an early F11 kernel which would cause this sort of
> >> thing on ext4.  Was your box upgrading from the original alpha kernel?
> >
> >   i believe it was, yes.
> >
> > rday
>

> then please try the suggestion of upgrading the kernel first (after
> you sort out the rpm issue, if it's not done already).
>
> you may need to remove some files first to get over that hump due to
> the old kernel bug.

  the first update (without updating the kernel first) resulted in the
numerous MD5 errors and complaints about out of space.  the second
update (where i updated the kernel first, then rebooted) resulted in
the apparently trashing of my volume group.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.