of yum, nfs and starting from scratch

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 5 10:20:57 UTC 2009

  as much as i'm not keen on putting any more time into testing f11
alpha, i figure that, since my two laptops are out and still plugged
in, i can start both of them from scratch and i'll take suggestions as
to *exactly* what operations i should do, and in what order, and i'll
record the results for my posterior.  posterity.  i meant posterity.

  both laptops are gateway MX7120, with 64-bit AMD mobile athlon
processors, 512M onboard RAM plus another 512M on an expansion card.
i'll install 32-bit alpha in one and 64-bit in the other, and try to
duplicate my efforts on both systems to see if the installed arch
makes a difference as to when things explode into flame.

  at the moment, i'm letting them both crank thru a memory test to
verify that it's not a memory issue.  once i'm happy with that, i'll
do very much the same install as i've been doing all week -- it ends
up being somewhere between 1400 and 1500 packages total.  once that's
done and the systems are rebooted, i'll take suggestions as to
predicsely what to test.

  beyond the package selection, i'm going to go with the default
selections during the install process, so i'm not trying to do
anything fancy.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.