ok, laptops loaded up and ready for testing

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Mar 5 17:25:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, David wrote:

> The way the update works is that *all*, you said 1500, packages
> would be downloaded, then installed, and then the cleanup would
> begin. That would take a lot of disk space with the potential to
> fail at any stage.

  that's probably why, after updating *only* rpm* and yum, the first
thing i did was install the downloadonly plugin, then "yum update
--downloadonly", wait ... wait ... wait ... then burn all those
packages to DVD before going any further.  just to save time the next
time.

  oh, and i set "keepcache=1".  just playing it safe.

> For the 64bit you would get *all* of the i386 now i586 packages
> install and all of the 64bit packages that have changed. And Rawhide
> changes a lot every day.

  i understand that.  it still brings us back to the same issue --
should i *expect* "yum update" to just work, even with rawhide?  as
in, should i expect it not to totally hose my system to the point
where i have to re-install from scratch?

> Someone posted a script a while back, might have been here, that was
> supposed to help someone with a disk space problem by doing the update a
> little at a time. IIRC it was for a release upgrade but I don't see why
> it would not work here.

  i have buckets of disk space -- i accepted the default disk
partitioning so i have one honking big root filesystem (>80G).  disk
space is not an issue.

> And I would do this in level 3 and not in the GUI level 5. Less
> things to go wrong that way.
>
> You do know how to get to level three?

  yes, dear ... i've done it a time or two in my day.  :-)

rday
--

p.s.  still waiting for suggestions as to what to do first if anyone
wants to see the current state of the systems before i bork them

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.