monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 6 00:29:48 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 00:43 -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> Yes, we've established where we are now, but we need a path to be
>> better off in the the future. Heck even RHEL "up2date" is able to
>> update itself first, *and* be certain it will work afterwards.
>
> Actually that fails more times than it works from what I hear.

I don't know what you hear. I know that I use up2date on CentOS4, and
the only problem _I_ have with it is that it can't find source packages
which I take to be because CentOS repos are structured incompatibly. But
for that, I'd likely add "--src" to the up2date below (or configure it
in the relevant configuration file).

I use up2date because this works, and AFAIK always has:
up2date -duf

When I want to apply the updates, they're downloaded ready for me. I
also use the repackage facility, though I've never had need to use it
(so I don't know whether it actually works).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait