man vs info vs texinfo files

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Fri Mar 6 16:45:17 UTC 2009

On 03/06/2009 04:58 AM, Bill Crawford wrote:
> What might be useful (kick me if it's there already and I missed it) is a page
> in the wiki specifically tailored to providing advice on converting to a newer
> format such as DocBook (which is faaaairly easily converted to other formats),
> such as references to doclifter, to a simple guide on how to use DocBook for a
> manual page, etc etc.

To convert texinfo to docbook just do:
   makeinfo --docbook foo.texi

Now as a *source* format texinfo has some advantages over docbook - it
is a lot less verbose, and easier to both read and write.  However,
docbook is more "standard" and has some extra functionality.

I don't think you're going to get the FSF to switch from texinfo to
docbook as the primary documentation format.  We might get them to
deprecate the info *format* if the info-using tools they care about
can do as good a job with docbook or html as they currently do with
info files.
--
	--Per Bothner