64-bit Kernel Question

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sun Mar 8 18:37:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 12:28 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Well, I will install it and see what happens.
>
> I am confused:
>
> Do I need the 64-bit devel and headers, too? I guess so, eh? I downloaded
> them and will install to try.
>
> Now, if I want to compile a program, will it work, as I have the 32-bit
> version of Fedora installed, since I now use the aforementioned 64-bit devel
> and header packages...?
>
> And, in the future, would I install the 64-bit version of Fedora instead of
> the 32-bit? Or are there other parts of my hardware that have to support
> 64-bit? Which? Like the motherboard? Other parts?

The way it is gonna work (or suppose to anyway) is you would install
32bit OS as normal, and the installer *should* detect which system you
have and install that particular kernel for you automatically.  You
shouldn't have to do anything manually (having some weird or out of
ordinary setup might be different).  Downloading the DVD or doing an NFS
install and such, should be as normal and automatically it should all
work.  I don't think it's setup that way currently, but not sure when it
will be neither.

--
Mike Chambers
Fedora Project - Bug Zapper, Tester, User, etc..
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org