64-bit Kernel Question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 17:00:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 22:34 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Per Bothner wrote:
>
> > Yes, but you may need more memory.
>
> Queer. I have 2GB of memory and whenever I look, I am barely using any at
> all, maybe only a couple of MB. It almost seems wasted.
>
> I guess I will soon find out. I am not going to get rid of my 32-bit
> installation, just use another partition to experiment.

Running x86-64 basically uses twice as much RAM for any given workload
as running x86-32 would. I'm not sure of the technical reason for this,
but that's how it works out. So if you're using less than half of your
available RAM with a typical workload at present, you'll be fine in
x86-64.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey