Improved wiki tracking of active triagers and components (draft)

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 17:02:23 UTC 2009

Christopher Beland said the following on 03/06/2009 10:27 AM Pacific Time:
> So at the last IRC meeting, I was asked to combine
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/components
> with
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/ActiveTriagers
>
> and add a "Need Help" Yes/No column.  Since I had already produced a
> draft combining

At our last meeting we asked you to create DRAFT pages in your own
namespace :)  For example:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Beland/My_Draft

I think combining components and ActiveTriagers works really well.  I'd
stop there in terms of including any other content or purpose.  I also
do not think it is a good idea to maintain stats inside this page
because of all the manual work to do it each week.  Over time it will
stop being updated and then the page will look stale.  Metrics capture
should be done in a central place where the data can be reported
dynamically.

I'd propose calling the page: Components_To_Triage

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/FindingBugs
> with
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/components
>

> I have just finished integrating everything into a draft for your
> approval:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Tracking

Please create draft pages in your own namespace. This particular title
is confusing, particularly when referring to BugZapper/Trackers from the
same page.

> I could redirect FindingBugs, components, and ActiveTriagers to this
> page if there is general consensus to do so, or I could merge only the
> latter two (with the contents of the "Component and Triager List"
> section) if that is preferred.  Please indicate what you would support
> doing, or if there are any changes you would like to see.

I do not think we are ready for redirects until our overall redesign is
done.  Redirects should be used to route around pages that are
completely dead or not used vs. combining a bunch of pages into one.

As you can probably tell by now I am very against long wiki pages that
scroll for ever and cover a multitude of topics.  Short and to the point
is my preference and I think works best in terms of not overwhelming new
people.  I have also found that breaking them into logical pieces by
topic makes them easier to maintain over time.

So I think it continues to make sense to have one wiki page whose sole
focus is to tell people all the different ways to find bugs.  This makes
a nice catch-all to link to from other pages when you need to provide
suggestions on locating bugs.  It is also a lot nicer for people when
they follow that link to only receive information on the topic they were
interested in knowing more about... versus being bombard the user with 5
other un-related topics which is what I think happens with the proposed
"Tracking" page.

John