gnome locking up after user login since the mass rebuild

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 20:31:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 12:49 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:43:53 -0800,
>   Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:25 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > > I haven't seen a report that I recognized as my problem and was hoping an
> > > update would fix it, but it has been about a week now.
> > > After logging into know and having the too bar show up, it locks up.
> > > I can't switch windows, c-a-F? doesn't drop down to a terminal, and
> > > clicking on the icons results in a slight color change on the border of
> > > the window the first time and then nothing changes after that.
> >
> > Can't really provide anything useful, just to confirm that this isn't
> > happening here.
> >
> > Have you tested with a new user account?
>
> Yes. Apparently using gnome triggers a kernel oops and then
> I started getting errors that don't make much sense.
> Like:
> EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode
> block - inode=694710, block=2752841

"Unable to read block" errors, filesystem being remounted readonly?
Yeah, your hard drive is very likely dying.

Switching to XFCE would work temporarily because a) it is reading from
different (undamaged) parts of the disk, and b) it reads less data from
the disk at startup. But that's only a temporary workaround.

You can probably confirm if you boot to runlevel 1 and check logs etc.
Probably all kinds of nasty errors in there.

Back up your data immediately and replace the drive.

-w