The 64-bit System...

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:35:12 UTC 2009

Brian Chadwick wrote:

> to be fairer, how much faster is the processor as well? any new 64-bit
> processor is faster than the top of the line 32 bit one of a few years
> ago, mind you my Athlon Xp-3200+ is heaps for me
>
>> To be fair, the extra RAM probably also helped.
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler
Yes, I thought the RAM might be a factor, but I was never using all I had
previously (although I never checked the usage during a yum update).

My comparison is based of the same processor, the intel core 2 duo e6320,
no hardware change, except previously I used i386 with 2GB RAM, now I use
x86_64 with 4GB RAM.

Also, there are other factors, like kde was painfully slow before (it would
take 2+ seconds to advance 1 line in Dolphin, for example), likely something
to do with OpenGL desktop effects, the xorg-intel driver, mesa, what-have-
you. This appears to be working MUCH MUCH smoother, AFAICT so far.

I am confused about installing mozilla plugins. Do I just yum install, or do
I have to do something special (for adobe flash-plugin, there was already
some discussion).

Also, I noticed in the repo that some programs/libraries/what-have-you exist
in duplicate, for x86_64 and i386. MUST I install both? Will yum
automatically grab both if required, etc? I don't want to pollute this
virgin system with 32-bit, unless I absolutely have to.