When will Fedora work again?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:02:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 20:12 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 03/10/2009 03:38 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > Then would it be time for some sort of "rollback" utility,
> > > so if "yum update something" breaks, maybe  : yum --rollback something
> > >

> > That's been discussed before. It's fantastically hard to do, short of
> > snapshotting the whole system.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Why dont you just enable keepcache in yum.conf and do rpm -Uhv foo.rpm
> --oldpackage
> if you need to go back a version ?

For a single package yes, but "rolling back" a full yum update can be
more complicated than that. For one thing, you have to remember which
specific version of each updated package was installed before the update
(which may work if keepcache was enabled a long enough time ago,
otherwise not). Plus some packages may not even roll back correctly
without manual intervention, e.g. evolution recently changed its index
database format to SQL. The new version can read the old files from
previous versions, but not vice versa, so you'd need specific rollback
code in every package with this kind of problem. Snapshots may be the
best way to go, but of course they'd need a COW filesystem at minimum.

poc