Interesting comments

TK009 john.brown009 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:17:57 UTC 2009

Matej Cepl wrote:
> [...]
>        Anytime I make a mistake (and I make plenty of them), it
>        is because I was trying to be more efficient and trying to
>        be faster, than I am with regards to the particular bug.
>     4. From the previous follows that bug triage should be done
>        in the close collaboration with maintainers of components
>        being triaged. This is the reason why I am so keen on
>        making bug triagers responsible for particular components
>        so that they could get into personal contact with
>        maintainers of the particular copmonent. Questions like
>        “What can I do for you?”, “What is your strategy in fixing
>        bugs?” (e.g., some developers prefer sending bugs upstream
>        and closing them there, while others rather keep
>        everything in our bugzilla), and of course “I am clueless
>        about this particular bug; what do you want me to do with
>        it?” are very useful. Ask them.
>     5. Bugs need to be triaged, not just tracked. For that they
>        need to be reproducible and therefore bug triager has to
>        try to reproduce them.
>        This one is very complicated one.
>        First of all, there are some bugs (and whole components)
>        where bug triager just cannot do much. There is just no
>        way how driver-related bugs (in kernel or xorg-x11-*
>        packages) can be reproduced without particular components.
>        Of course, if a triager is able to do it, because by
>        chance he has required hardware available, he should do
>        it, but somehow we just cannot do much.
>        And of course, there is always one person which has all
>        hardware needed for the reproduction of bug available
>        — reporter of the bug herself. If you can make her to
>        provide all information necessary, great. If not, well,
>        there are many many bugs where bug triager just gives up
>        and passes the bug to the maintainer as it is, knowing he
>        did all he could, and that bug maintainer knows about the
>        component more than all bug triagers combined. ;-)
>        However, it is also clear, that putting too high demands
>        on newbie bugZappers could discourage them and make the
>        learning curve just too steep.
>        OTOH, even when there are these (and others?) reasons why
>        the proper bug triage (which includes effort to reproduce
>        the bug) is not possible, it should be still kept in mind,
>        that this is a concession to real life problems, not an
>        ideal over which no-one should dare to get. No, we should
>        all be challenged to do the best what we can do, even in
>        the given time we cannot do everything necessary.
>     6. There is that whole issue of prioritization. Whenever
>        I talked with Luis about bug triaging prioritization was
>        the issue most on his mind. Currently, b.r.c doesn’t have
>        any good metrics for prioritizing bugs (all
>        priorities/severities/votes are manageable by reporters
>        and thus totally worthless) and nobody invented a good way
>        how to make it work. Any ideas are very much welcomed;
>        I have not much to say about it, just felt need to note it
>        here.
>
> I guess that’s finally it. Comments are very welcome (and

@adam
I fully agree, a "drive-by" can be worse than not triaging the report at
all. I have to admit I was guilty of this at first. I took the words of
triage 101(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TriagingGuidelines/Triage101)
to literal maybe. "Never re-triage a bug!" Drive-by triage isn't in the
best interest of the user/reporter, developer/maintainer or myself.

Notice I put the user first.

@Matej
One word I saw omitted in your reply was "user", hacker doesn't really
work as a substitute for me. What about the user? Is a product really a
product without a consumer? Developers/maintainers are not to only part
of this equation.

You made some very good points in your reply. Triage should never be
about numbers, but about communication and quality.

I see this as the primary objective of triage-
"...acting as a bridge between users and developers to aid in fixing and
closing bugs."
Nothing there about numbers of any kind. Everything else is secondary.

"For that they
       need to be reproducible and therefore bug triager has to
       try to reproduce them."

Respectfully disagree here. I see reproduction as a bonus, not a
requirement. Time spent trying to reproduce doesn't pay off in
production or quality, in a few cases it might but for the main, no.
 From Traige 101: What wasn't done - 10) try and reproduce/make test
cases, etc.

I like to respond further but damn brother to much in one email =).

TK009