Sign up or help with component triage!

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 11 21:10:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 14:51 -0400, TK009 wrote:
> this reworded a bit
> "As you start work on a component, communicating with other triagers
> working on the same component or the developer can help make your
> working relationship more productive."
> to-
> "Once you chose a component, communicating with other triagers and the
> developer/maintainer can help make your working relationship more
> productive."

Since you mention it, this advice is rather vague.  What is it exactly
that triagers are being advised to do?  Send an e-mail to the maintainer
of a component before they start triaging its bugs?

Personally, I have just been jumping in and change bugs and comment on
them.  Usually I either have obvious questions to ask of the reporter,
or I just mark it ASSIGNED and if the maintainer has any further
questions, it's up to them to ask the reporter.  If I have any
information that might help the developer, I just add it to the bug
report.

There are special cases where for a given component, you should
generally attach special logs or somesuch - that's the sort of thing a
triager might ask the developer what would be most helpful.  But people
develop this sort of knowledge from experience or reading old bug
reports, and the wiki is getting pretty good at documenting those things
now.  Having to ask each package maintainer "is there something special
I should do?" before you touch any of their bugs seems like a little too
much overhead, so I wouldn't want to advise that.

In general, I would advise triagers to communicate through Bugzilla
simply by triaging bugs in the normal checklisty way; otherwise, if
there are questions, ask them!  8)

-B.