Interesting comments

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 11 23:59:30 UTC 2009

TK009 wrote:

> "For that they       need to be reproducible and therefore bug triager
> has to       try to reproduce them."
>
> Respectfully disagree here. I see reproduction as a bonus, not a
> requirement. Time spent trying to reproduce doesn't pay off in
> production or quality, in a few cases it might but for the main, no.
>  From Traige 101: What wasn't done - 10) try and reproduce/make test
> cases, etc.

If you can describe how to reproduce a problem, you
1. Validate the original complaint
2. Demonstrate that there is enough information for the developer to
proceed.
3. Provide a testcase that can be used to demonstrate that the problem
has been fixed.
4. Advance your own skills, perhaps on the road to becoming "maintainer"
of something.

If you can't reproduce a problem, it's going to be very hard indeed to
fix it. For that reason many kernel bugs can be difficult.

Im loathe to report bugs that don't occur consistently. In such cases
I'm more likely to test the water by discussing it here.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait