Interesting comments

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 00:24:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 08:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> If you can describe how to reproduce a problem, you
> 1. Validate the original complaint
> 2. Demonstrate that there is enough information for the developer to
> proceed.
> 3. Provide a testcase that can be used to demonstrate that the problem
> has been fixed.
> 4. Advance your own skills, perhaps on the road to becoming "maintainer"
> of something.
>
> If you can't reproduce a problem, it's going to be very hard indeed to
> fix it. For that reason many kernel bugs can be difficult.

Just because you (the triager) can't reproduce it doesn't mean no-one
else can.

Maybe the bug's in KDE and you run GNOME, or the bug's in Fedora 9 and
you run 10, or the bug only happens on NVIDIA graphics cards and you
have an ATI. There's lots of bugs that not necessarily anyone in the
triage team will be able to reproduce.

Reproducing a bug is, indeed, a great way - almost infallible - to be
sure the report has sufficient information and can therefore be triaged.
But I don't think it's the *only* way, and it shouldn't be required...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey