Interesting comments

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 12 08:19:06 UTC 2009

TK009 wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> I should add that I'm talking in terms of practicality here, and taking
>> into consideration that we have not many active triagers trying to
>> triage a very large amount of bugs. In that situation, it's sometimes
>> better to triage 100 bugs without reproduction at an accuracy rate of
>> 85% than it is to triage 15 bugs with reproduction at an accuracy rate
>> of 95%. IMHO, anyway.
> That is it in a nutshell. Less than 20 active triagers (according to the
> list http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/ActiveTriagers), 6000+
> bugs in NEW state. I never discourage others from reproducing, if they
> can, it's a bonus. Requiring that a triager try and reproduce every bug,
> is asking to much of mostly (all?) volunteers.
>
> TK009

I'm only guessing at what RH _might_ do, basing those guesses on what I
know. One fact for example, is that RH draws from Fedora to create its
RHEL releases, so there appears to be some self-interest in ensuring
software likely to be in RHEL works on computers RHEL is likely to be
run on.

What RH _should_ do has to be tempered by its cost, and I have no means
of guessing there.

--

Cheers
John