Interesting comments

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 23:42:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 23:26 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2009-03-12, 01:23 GMT, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > There's no RH employee whose actual job involves triaging bugs
> > in Fedora.
>
> Actually, ehm, there are two of us ... me and one rather
> mysterious lady working on anaconda. And yes, of course, I was
> for a long the biggest user of Xen (now KVM) in Red Hat Czech.

Sorry, Matej - I thought you were doing this alongside other work, I
didn't know it *was* your work :)

> >>  Considering the problems I (and importantly, others) had with
> >>  the HP DC7700 I think I would expect RH to acquire some (it's
> >>  a corporate desktop system and I know RHEL customers use
> >>  them).
>
> Fortuantely, you usually don't have to use whole computers, but
> particular parts -- so yes, there are people inside of Red Hat
> how have huge heaps of graphic cards/disk arrays/wifi cards/etc.
> And yes, of course they work on Fedora as well (usually not on
> QA, but that does slightly different things in RH anyway).
>
> > By the RH QA team. For RHEL. =)
>
> That is correct as far as QA goes, but just don't make it look
> like RH employees are not working on Fedora.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention - just that it seemed John was
suggesting Red Hat would be neglecting its duties in regard of RHEL if
it didn't test on such things, which is reasonably true, but doesn't
directly touch on Fedora.

> > I should add that I'm talking in terms of practicality here,
> > and taking into consideration that we have not many active
> > triagers trying to triage a very large amount of bugs.
>
> Yes, I totally agree that it is not practicable to ask every
> volunteer to reproduce bug as necessary requirement for touching
> bugs. Yes, we can do a lot of good without reproducing bugs. But
> let's not fooll ourselves, that when we do everything what’s
> needed. We may do everything we are able to, and it is certainly
> lot and it is very helpful, but there is always space and
> challenge for growth.

Sure. Everyone's said that, in an ideal world, all bugs should be
reproduced before being triaged. We just need another few dozen people
first :D
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey