Fedroa 10 Wedges File System under heavy I/O Load

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Mar 15 14:43:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 06:23:48 -0700,
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf at omen.com> wrote:
> From time to time I back up data from /u, /y, and /var onto
> an external IDE HD attached with a USB interface as /dev/sde1.
> The command used is:  cd /; find u y var -print | cpio -pmd /b
> This has worked well until recently.
>
> Now Fedora "wedges" the /u file system at some time during this
> backup process, which takes about three hours.  If /u doesn't
> wedge before the backup finished with /u, the backup runs
> to completion.
>
> Strangely enough, even when /u is wedged, other file systems
> on the same drive typically work normally.  Commands such
> as sync and ps -ef wedge, but df does not.
>
> Any ideas what to look for??

I have seen similar behavior on an off with Fedora going back several
releases (FC6). It seems to come and go with various kernel releases.
Right now things aren't too bad in rawhide, though I did have a yum
update lock up the system during its transaction test. (This was after
the mass rebuild and a yum update was updating over 5000 packages. I ended
up doing it in smaller chunks, which was faster as well as not triggering
the problem.)