Fedroa 10 Wedges File System under heavy I/O Load

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sun Mar 15 16:25:07 UTC 2009

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>  From time to time I back up data from /u, /y, and /var onto
> an external IDE HD attached with a USB interface as /dev/sde1.
> The command used is:  cd /; find u y var -print | cpio -pmd /b
> This has worked well until recently.
>
> Now Fedora "wedges" the /u file system at some time during this
> backup process, which takes about three hours.  If /u doesn't
> wedge before the backup finished with /u, the backup runs
> to completion.
>
> Strangely enough, even when /u is wedged, other file systems
> on the same drive typically work normally.  Commands such
> as sync and ps -ef wedge, but df does not.
>
> Any ideas what to look for??

Please include the kernel version in reports like this, as well as any
kernel messages that might be relevant... there was one deadlock in ext4
fixed recently, so it'd be nice to know what you're running.

You could run iostat to see if any IO is going to the usb drive or not.

When thing seem deadlocked, echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger will dump out
all blocked processes to the kernel logs; you can then dmesg > file and
attach that to any bug report.

Feel free to just file bugs for stuff like this, too.

Thanks,
-Eric