Interesting comments

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 17 18:25:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 08:59 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Im loathe to report bugs that don't occur consistently. In such cases
> I'm more likely to test the water by discussing it here.

Well, whether it's in Bugzilla or the mailing list, it seems to me
useful to report such bugs, because they are much easier to squash
collectively than alone.  For example, I try to always report crashes.
Sometimes the developer can fix it from the backtrace, sometimes they
can't.  Sometimes they notice the backtrace mechanism is broken or
otherwise can deploy better instrumentation.  Sometimes other people
have the same problem and we can narrow down what use cases or optional
components are causing it.  Usually Bugzilla is cited as a better
repository for bug reports than the mailing list archives, because they
are easier to find and harder to lose.

-B.