Fedora Test Day - Intel graphics driver

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Mar 22 21:57:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 11:02 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:

> >> Nope, definitely not. As it says on the page, results are welcome any
> >> time.
> >>
> >> We will probably have a follow-up event before F11 comes out, so the
> >> devs can check progress in fixing the issues identified by this first
> >> round of testing.
> >
> > I haven't quite finished the testing yet, but I'm not sure I'm actually
> > getting 3D from my intel card at this stage.
> >
> > I can run glxgears, but the 500 frames per second (for a default size
> > window glxgears window) are underwhelming.  A NVidia GeForce Go 6800
> > using F10 gives me around 1700fps, and a Intel 915GM using F9 gives me
> > 400FPS, so I would expect my Intel 4 Series Chipset to give me much
> > better than the Intel 915 and given the age of the Nvidia chipset (3 or
> > 4 years old), something better than that too.
>
> glxgears is not really usefull to compare the performance of different systems.
> Also comparing a dedicated nvidia gpu to an intel IGP does not make
> sense ( yes the nv is faster even thought its older)
>
> > How can I tell if 3d is actually working for me?
>
> Check the glxinfo output and check if direct rendering is enabled.
> And than try any game or app that uses opengl and see if it is useable at all.

I've done some quick (read slow) testing with extremetuxracer and I get
(drum roll please) less than 3.0 FPS.  That's right, it's usually around
2.6 or 2.7, but did max out at 3.0 just once (in about 10 seconds of
fooling around, but it was clear things weren't about to get any
better).

Other information people have asked me to gather includes:

[rodd at mythtv ~]$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
direct rendering: Yes
[rodd at mythtv ~]$ xdriinfo
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Screen 0: not direct rendering capable.
[rodd at mythtv ~]$

It appears that glxinfo and xdriinfo can't quite agree.

I couldn't find teapot to run it.

Rodd

 It's much better on my side"