2009-03-25 - 17:00 UTC - Fedora QA meeting minutes

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 19:02:30 UTC 2009

IRC transcript and online notes available at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20090325

= Attendees =

* Will Woods (wwoods)
* Adam Williamson (adamw)
* James Laska (jlaska)
* Jóhann Guðmundsson (viking_ice)
* Josh Boyer (jwb)
* Jesse Keating (f13)
* Matej Cepl (mcepl)

= Previous meeting follow-up =

* [jlaska+adamw] mediawiki semantic update (packaging and hosting)
** ''REVIEWED'' - [[rhbug:490001|490001]] -  Review Request:
mediawiki-semantic - The semantic extension to mediawiki
** ''NEEDS REVIEW'' - [[rhbug:490171|490171]] -  Review Request:
mediawiki-semantic-forms - An extension to MediaWiki that adds support
for web-based forms
** Packages installed in a test instance, next steps involve:
*** understanding the framework and wiki linkage
*** request live data dump from infrastructure for testing
*** developing some howto docs/guides
*** request infrastructure hosting

* [adamw] schedule radeon test day
** in discussion with developer to select a day.  Developer proposed 2
wks from now, but adamw suggested next week since we're booked

* [adamw] review OPEN installer bugs and escalate appropriate issues to
F11Beta blocker list
** iarly from the triage team did go through and review a lot of the
issues, so i think it got done reasonably well.

* [jlaska] email fedora-test-list@ with call for testing of rawhide
installs
** Email
[https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-March/msg01022.html sent] ... a good selection of installer testing contributed  by community. Wish I had bugzilla numbers, but not handy at this time :(

* [jlaska] build XFCE live images and request fedorapeople hosting from
jeremy
** Images built and were available for test day - see
[[QA/Test_Days/2009-03-19#Live_Image]]

* [jlaska] find Beta Release notes wiki page?
** thanks to frields ... [[Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes]]

= F-11-Beta - who/what/when/where/why? =

* Useful links:
** '''F-11 Schedule''' -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/Schedule
** '''Where to record test results''' -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_11_Beta_Install_Test_Results
** '''Current list of open Beta blockers''' -
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=476774&hide_resolved=1
** '''Beta release notes''' -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes

* AdamW confirmed with JesseKeating that the F11Beta bug triage efforts
were effective

== F11Beta blocking bugs ==

* Much of the last week was spent

== Building the Beta Known issues ==
* Main issues so far include:
*# Previous disk partition layout problems
*# Upgrade testing issues
*# Kickstart installs fragile

* AdamW noted that we might not be communicating the known issues
effectively since a lot of Alpha testers didn't know about the rpm issue
** Make each known issue a unique section header in the wiki
** Should anaconda display release notes again (or pull down release
notes from an html page)?
** Perhaps a desktop menu link for release notes (see
fedora-release-notes package)
** Does firefox include the release notes link? (see
fedora-release-notes package)
** Result - QA team must internally reference the Beta release notes
known issues in all IRC and email communication.

== The Beta RC Process ==

* Jlaska asked to discuss the Beta RC build, test and release process
** What information does JesseKeating need to release the bits to the
mirrors - confirmation of the anaconda-devel beta readiness criteria
** When do we have to get that feedback in? - Meet Friday around noon in
#fedora-qa to provide test feedback

* AdamW asked if it's possible to open up RC testing to a wider
audience?
** we tried in the past, but it flooded the download site and no one
could test
** Would be good to engage people, perhaps time better spent engaging
during Rawhide cycle for testing Rawhide

* Jlaska suggested we gather in #fedora-qa on Friday afternoon to
discuss RC test feedback
** JesseKeating recommended we invite the anaconda-devel team

= Open discussion =

== Development Schedule Proposal ==
Wwoods introduced a new Fedora release schedule concept - lengthen the
development/test cycle beyond 6 months

** introduce a two-month beta period after the normal 6-month
development cycle --> rawhide branch
** AdamW reminded that the reason we have stable releases at all is to
have 'checkpoints' for major changes like the rpm checksum issue, hence
our release schedule should match the heckpoints
** Several ideas/concerns were raised.  WWoods will review current
proposal and open up for feedback post-beta.
*** http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/schedule.html
*** http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/images/fedora-ideal-schedules.png

= Upcoming QA events =
* 2009-03-26 - [[QA/Test_Days/2009-03-26|Nouveau Test Day]]
* 2009-03-31 - [[BugZappers/Triage_days|BugZapper Triage Day]]
* 2009-04-02 - [[QA/Test_Days/2009-04-02|Power Management Test Day]]

= Action items =
* [f13+wwoods] - autoqa status update
* [adamw] - schedule radeon test day
* [jlaska] - copy F11 beta test results wiki changes into the wiki
template (several test case additions)
* [wwoods] - to add some upgrade test cases to the beta results page
(and template)
* [jlaska] - add Beta known issues for previous disk contents, kickstart
issues, KVM NAT networking problems (use static ip)
* [wwoods] - document any upgrade issues in the Beta release notes
* [jlaska] - setup meeting to review RC test results for Friday
afternoon to include release engineering (JesseKeating) and
anaconda-devel and any RC testers.

= Next QA meeting =

The next meeting will be held on
[http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2009&month=4&day=1&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=207&p2=204 2009-04-01 16:00 UTC]