Adaptive Technology

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:10:11 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 13:50:21 Oisin Feeley wrote:
> On 3/26/09, Charles Ross <rossce_tech at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone worked with visually impaired individuals and adaptive
> > solutions with Fedora? I want to learn this and am near total blindness
> > not sure what all is out there in making this OS acessable or how and if
> > the windows bassed software will work within this enviroment.  Any
> > insite, ideas or assistance would be most helpful.
>
> I haven't but I've wondered idly about this area for a while and have
> some bookmarks which I hope will be useful to you.
>
> There used to be a fair number of interesting posts from a "William F.
> Acker" on speakup and other related technologies.  See e.g. this link
> from mid-2008
>
> http://markmail.org/message/e3ge6326si5ddurr
>
> Similarly Janina Sajka seems to be involved in accessibility issues
> and was involved with Colin Walters in a thread about how to fix GConf
> settings so that the interaction between Speakup, orca, GDM and
> PulseAudio is managed properly. It sounds like she might be worth
> getting in touch with:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-September/msg01240.h
>tml
>
> A much earlier (Fedora 7) post was reported by Rahul Sundaram in
> Fedora Weekly News:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue102#A_view_of_Linux_as_introduced_by
>_a_blind_user_via_Orca
>
> Some (unused) accessibility notes from the Fedora 7 era may or may not
> be of use:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Accessibility

KDE offers KTTS, K-text-to-speech, which is used by KMouth.  I haven't used
it, so can't comment on it, but http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/
says

    * Speak any text from the KDE clipboard.
    * Speak any plain text file.
    * Speak all or any portion of a text file from Kate, including instances
where Kate is embedded in another KDE application.
    * Speak all or any portion of an HTML page from Konqueror.
    * Use as the speech backend for KMouth and KSayIt.
    * Speak KDE notifications (KNotify).
    * Long text is parsed into sentences. User may backup by sentence or
paragraph, replay, pause, and stop playing.
    * Audio output via aRts, GStreamer (version 0.8.7 or later), or aKode.
    * User-configurable filters for substituting misspoken words, choosing
speech synthesizers, and transforming XHMTL/XML documents.

Anne