Anaconda "Create Custom Layout" unhandled exception

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Mar 26 17:43:28 UTC 2009

Over the last week or so I've had good luck with pxeboot rawhide
installs using custom disk layouts.  But yesterday I changed my office
machine to an MSI P43 NEO3 and Anaconda was stumped.

Different versions of fdisk showed slightly different partitions.
After several attempts to install Rawhide, I gave up and installed
OpenSUSE, which installed without complaint.  But Rawhide
still couldn't hack custom layout.

I tried reverting to the "last known good" Rawhide from last year
(anaconds 11.5.0.17) but custom layout still got an unhandled exception.

Finally I swapped hard drives and used Win XP to clear partitions
and install Windows on a 50G partition.  The current Rawhide was
able to install using the "replace linux" option.

I know the details here are rather sketchy.  I suspect the problem
may be related to the motherboard and the apparent presence of
two partition tables on the same drive.  And the problem <so far>
is appearing only on this motherboard.

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665