Convert ext3 to ext4

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 12:59:48 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-30, 09:54 GMT, Joshua C. wrote:
> Is ext4 "production-ready"? I know it was declared stable in
> 2.6.28 but I still see more ext4 patches than ext3 in the
> kernel. Maybe it's just because ext4 is newer? Is ext4 ready to
> fully replace ext3 without any data losses? What about
> mission-critical machines or should we wait untill 2.6.31 just
> to be sure?

If you have mission-critical machines, then you don't use Fedora
for them anyway, right? ;-) Then you should install RHEL 5.3 (or
some of its variants) which has ext4 as a Technology Preiew
(i.e., not supported by RH yet).

Make your own conclusions. However, as with all similar
situation, no-one will do testing of your needs for you.

Matěj