Convert ext3 to ext4

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 17:48:26 UTC 2009

Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Robin Laing wrote:
>>
>>> It has to do with the write delays and the way the data is written to
>>> the disk.  I didn't want to risk it.
>> The fixes for these issues have long since been in rawhide.
>
> And in F10 also?

Will be when 2.6.29 hits F10.

F10 still had ext4 as a "hidden" fs option, remember, it was a bit more
of a test fs at that point.  We do make efforts to keep things working
well in F10 (Thanks esp. to Chuck!) but F10 ext4 wasn't expected to be
without some potential flaws.

In the larger picture, I have yet to hear a complaint about this sort of
buffered data loss on a crash on ext4 in Fedora.  At least no bugs have
been filed over it.

Remember guys, this is fedora-test-list; posting things like "does it
work?" or "I'm afraid it may not work so I'm not using it" here strikes
me as odd.  You can help root out these or issues by testing it, now,
before F11 goes gold.

Thanks,
-Eric