GRAMPS Genealogy Software problem ???

Rob Healey robhealey1 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 01:41:38 UTC 2009

Greetings:

Just a little background on this problem ...  I have a fresh install of
Fedora 11 Preview, and it is fully updated to today, 20090501!  This is the
first time that I have had problems with Fedora 11 from its' alpha release.
If all that I do, is open the software and do nothing, then I can re-open it
all  from command line.  It seems as once the software creates its own files
and directories, it is then that I can't re-open the software from the
terminal.

This is such a wild experience.  I  do not understand what is going on?  I
also have the bug report that I get once the crash happens if someone can
read it and tell me what is going on???

I am a contributor with the Gramps genealogy program, so I need to be able
to see what the errors are and I need to be able to run it from terminal ...

Prior to three days ago, I was able to use the current codebase from gramps
trunk/ unstable code ...

This is what I had tried and done today:

I checked out the current svn of gramps trunk codebase...

ran autogen.sh
make

then tried python ~/gramps32/src/gramps.py, which is the current recommended
way to start using the trunk code...

>From a fresh checkout, I can open the software, set preferences, import my
database, set my gramplets, etc...

Close the software, try to open it again, Gramps dump report...

so next, I l changed to root, and typed make install which, of course, is
something that you are suggested not to do!  I take the risk and assume my
own stupidity if there is any...

Go to Applications, Office, GRAMPS Genealogy, and I can open the software.
It all works...

The problem is that I get no debugging information on the terminal screen,
which is how I can check and validate my code changes!  I do not understand
it at all...

Please help if you can?

Sincerely,
Rob G. Healey