Fedora 11 fail because of Anaconda :(

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon May 4 14:59:07 UTC 2009

Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> I don't have any warm fuzzies about how good F11 is going to be;
>>> I'm afraid that anaconda's instability has blocked a lot of the
>>> testing we'd normally get.
>>>
>> Fair point.  I'm optimistic with the number of Test Days and the
>> increasing use of live images for testing.  That said, there is a
>> significant hurdle to overcome for calming down the installer.
>>

> I agree the test days have helped but its concerning that I still
> can't do an install with custom partitions with the preview release.
> And there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction on the bug to fix it
> before release.

I did test custom partitioning a bit extensively and actually one of the
Anaconda maintainer thought I
was nuts testing this and claimed this would never be an end user case.

Which btw is true but then again no normal end user uses the custom
partition layout.

I came across few filed only one ( Bug 498064 ) which I could reproduce
easily
seemed to related to the tenth partition ( /dev/sda10 I also have a
flaky dvd drive ).

Try deleting partition(s) before playing with them in custom partition
layout a workaround I've used
when Anaconda and custom partitioning has not been playing nice.

Now Anaconda in preview is in much better shape then beta but is not
quite there yet.

So far team Anaconda has gotten the installer in usable state before final.

We just need to retest with newer anaconda builds when we can and update
our reports if the issue still exists.
( Comment on the report either that the issue is still present or fixed
in x version of anaconda )

I also performed an upgrade just yesterday through anaconda ( preview
dvd i586) and it went with out a hitch
( I actually had expected anaconda to fail since there where some
rpmfusion packages installed )

However after I updated the machine after the upgrade and rebooted, grub
was messed up for some reason
and I was left with just "GRUB" on the screen which leaves me a bit
worried I fixed it by rescue booting and reinstall grub
but that is something that a novice end user certainly is unable to
perform or do..

JBG